**Mom, you can click on the pictures to make them bigger
Here is the front porch 2009 vs. 2010. The roses bushes are gone, there are several trees gone and we pulled off the ugly white lattice they had tied up to the porch with yarn. Several of our neighbors literally clapped and whooped with joy when the lattice came down. Apparently, they had all hated it for years. Glad we could be of service Peeps.
I was trying to figure out how many trees and bushes we have removed since we moved in. I would guess at least 20. Here is the front from a side angle
Normally, I wouldn't be bragging about arbor'icide but the yard was overgrown. It's been a lot of work but worth it. The neighbors told me that their kids used to call our house "The Scary House." Hopefully, it's not the scary house anymore. Here is a full back view 2009 vs. 2010.

I had forgotten until I looked at the before pictures that all of the window wells were full of ivy (as seen below)
I know the 2010 yard pictures looks somewhat barren and I can't help but notice all the dead spots in the lawn but don't even get me started on that topic, it's a whole 'nother story. I keep telling myself that you first have to destroy before you can rebuild. Aren't I wise??
We have big plans for this place, too bad we don't have the money or time currently to do them. Patience young grasshopper
Can you believe how much better this spot looks? Then again, could it have looked WORSE? Yikes
This is a "before" picture of one of the stumps we recently removed. It took days of digging before we could finally pull it out and obviously, once it was out there was a large hole in the ground but Tony filled the hole in and laid sod over the dirt and you can hardly tell there was ever a tree there. 
See?

Here is our new roof. Please note the new turtle vents and the beauty and texture of the shingles. It was totally worth using up most of my tax return. Did you catch the sarcasm there? I like and appreciate the new roof but I really would have rather gone to Disneyland (Disneyland Disneyland DISNEYLAND) with my tax return again this year but Noooo, I had to be responsible.

Sasha was following me around while I was taking the 2010 pictures. I left her in the back yard when I went out front to take pictures. When I was finished I went around the side of the house and this is what I saw...A sad Sasha waiting for me to return. Cute!
I wanted some bushes to plant around my foundation to hide the wall of concrete. I found these dwarf burning bushes which were exactly what I wanted, at Home Depot for $2.50 each. I was thrilled and purchased all the ones they had.
I went back today to buy some for our back yard but they were gone :( Oh well. We have to get a load of top soil delivered before I can get them planted. So until then, they will stay like this...
The tulips that came up this spring were a pleasant surprise

We have already planted most of our garden. Yes, it is early but Tony wouldn't wait a second longer
Some of the veggies aren't looking too happy after the cold and hail we had but most of the plants still look ok.
I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation. It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a rose of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green.
~Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mosses from and Old Manse
2 comments:
I love that quote. I thought you were waxing eloquent and was about to tell you that you should write a poem, but HA! Anyway, you busy little bees have made quite the glam house. I LOVE it. This is how creative I am: I thought it looked just fine before. I probably would have left the lattice up. I would have lived in the "scary house" (which I do) for years, never noticing that it was a skank hole to the beauty of the rest of the neighborhood crackheads.
Gay I couldn't have said any of it better! The worst before picture is better than my best :(
Lookin' good Karla and Tony!!!
Post a Comment