Bumble

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The "what the hell?" hole

Our adventures with mysterious water leaks continue.  Tuesday we discovered water dripping down Cort's bedroom door frame in the basement.  The ceiling sheetrock in the hall in front of his door was clearly saturated and sagging so Tony cut a small hole to see if he could tell where the water was coming from.  Water poured out and I cried.  Ok, I didn't cry but I wanted to, though I should be used to things like this by now. 

We put towels and buckets down because the water kept on coming and the hole grew bigger and bigger.

Before long, the hole was HUGE but we still had no idea where the water was coming from. There were no pipes around or under this duct work at all.  Many tense hours later Tony determined that the culprit was the ice maker line to our refrigerator. The plastic tube had developed a pin hole and a fine mist of water had been spraying against the wall for days (weeks?) and it had eventually leaked down into the basement.  Ughhhhhhh! We turned the water off to the ice maker and will be running a new copper line this weekend. 

Now we have another hole to repair in the sheetrock.  We haven't even fixed the hole in the kitchen from our last water leak yet so I have been online watching videos on how to patch and texture the sheetrock so it matches the surrounding texture.  There are several different techniques apparently, panda paw, knock down, orange peel etc. Who knew? Whatever, I am determined to learn all kinds of mad home remodeling skills as needed.   

Sunday Tony decided the three mostly dead aspen trees in the corner of our front yard needed to come down. 
He whipped out his chainsaw and started lopping. 
It looked like a tornado went through our yard before long. 
But the trees are down (mostly)

I don't have any after pictures yet, but we were able to throw most of the tree debris away in the garbage can so the front yard looks much better today.  Good thing, because the mess was driving me crazy.
  The stumps are still in the ground and appear to be encased in cement like dirt which we will have to chip off before we can cut the stumps up.  FUN.  Remind me why I wanted to be a home owner?  
On a positive note, we finally got rid of the hideous chandelier in the formal dining room.   

No comments: