Bumble

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Boys Bathroom Remodel

We started to remodel the boys bathroom in February and I have been waiting to put pictures up until after it was completely done but it's now June and it's still not totally finished.  So here are some pictures of what we've done so far.
We were forced to remodel the boys bathroom after my hand went through the wall in their linen closet. See below.  We had a mysterious water leak and the walls surrounding the shower were wet, crumbling and moldy.  Eeeek!!
We had no idea where the water was coming from but we knew there was only one way to find out so we started tearing out the shower tile. This is the shower before we started the demo. Hideous wasn't it?
Mason was a huge help tearing out the old, moldy, wet, and HEAVY, tile.
No turning back now!
We filled up two garbage cans with debris. This is what the inside of the shower looked like after all the tile was removed. Yikes!
I was worried that we weren't going to be able to figure out exactly where the leak was coming from but we did.  Apparently, when our house was built the idiot contractor put a nail through the copper pipe in the shower and so it had been leaking for 20 years.  Mystery solved!
We found several beer cans sealed up in the wall behind the tile. I think we know how they managed to put a nail through the pipe!
As long as we were remodeling, I decided to give the bathroom cabinet a face lift.   This is the cabinet before.
Wasn't that a lovely blue counter top?
I sanded down the cabinet and bought some stain. I had no idea what I was doing but I was determined to try. Cabinet after sanding.
I removed the doors and took a deep breath and started to apply the stain. I started with the back of the doors first.
After the first coat.
I used General Finishes stain which I read about online. It's what the professionals use and it was amazing! The only downside is that it's hard to find but I am persistent :)
I wanted to put a light in the shower so it wasn't so dark.  Tony worked his magic and installed a can light made for showers. I think that is my favorite part of the remodel. 
Our old tile saw (below) died early on in the remodel. I was NOT happy.
Because that meant I had to buy a new tile saw (below). The new saw was a definite upgrade from the old one,  but I really wasn't expecting to have to factor in the cost of a new tile saw.
I pulled up the linoleum and it came up surprisingly easy. But the glued backing underneath was pure HELL to remove. I spent countless hours scraping it off the floor so we could lay the tile. I tried numerous tips I read online about how to remove the glue easily but none of them worked very well.  So we just scraped and scraped and scraped.
Shower with the dry wall up
Tile laid out on the floor and ready to install
Tile ready to lay on the shower floor. 
Shower tiled, no grout
Shower and floor tiled, ready to grout! If you notice the date on these pictures this project was strung out for WEEKS.  I thought we were never going to get it done.  It's hard to work on big projects when you work full time.
Grouting is messy work
I wanted to buy a new glamorous clear glass shower door but our door opening is freakishly narrow, 22 inches, so we ended up reusing the old one because no one sells doors that small.   
Shower tiled, grouted and door up  
Cabinet before and after side by side
Click picture for a close up
Shower before and after side by side
The big stuff is done at least, but the sheet rock we replaced needs to be sanded so we can paint.  We need to install the new handles I bought to add to the cabinet and we need to get the base board up after we paint. 
The devil is in the details, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I bought paint to repaint the entire bathroom and that is what you can see painted in a few test spots. I am not sure if it's an upgrade or not but I guess since I already bought it I will try it and see. Before and After Side by Side.
As long as I am putting up the before and after pictures here is a picture of the back yard last year and this year. Wow!


1 comment:

Gay said...

Beautiful. You should be an interior designer!